Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Madelyn Lou is Here!

On Monday, March 31st we welcome Miss Madelyn Lou Noble to the world and our family! I'll give a brief run down on her birth story:

The prior Thursday, I went to my weekly doc appointment and was 4cm and 70% effaced. At that time, the doctor agreed to set up an induction date of Tuesday, April 1st (our due date) b/c of my progress and the fact that we live an hour away from the hospital. All that weekend, I felt that something was going to be happening soon. I was feeling very tired, having some cramping, and some other tell tale labor signs. But, come Sunday night, still nothing.

I woke up around 4am on Monday morning to fairly strong contractions about 10 minutes apart. As I laid in bed, I started to panic about Monday morning traffic up to the hospital, so around 5:30 I told Andrew I thought we should head up there to get checked out just in case. By 6:30, we were on our way and made it to the hospital before 8am.

While they were getting me set up with the monitors, I told the nurse about my experience last time and how the belt was not picking up my contractions. So she said she would put the belt lower (though still not where I said the contractions were located) and they monitored me for a bit. As the case was last time, I was told they were just picking up some uterus irritability versus true contractions...though they were still happening every 10 minutes. BUT, since I was due at the hosp at 6am the next day, they decided to keep me and make Monday "baby day."

By 1pm they decided to give me a bit of pitocin since I was dilated to 5cm and the contractions weren't getting any closer on their own. By 2pm I had my epidural and shortly after that the resident checked me and said I was complete, but that baby was still a bit high, so they wanted to let me labor down for an hour for baby to move down before pushing. 40 minutes later, the nurse said Dr.Locker was getting antsy and wanted to do a practice push. Once I pushed during the next contraction, we saw the resident's and nurse's eyes get big and say "ok, there's the baby.We're ready." 10 minutes and about 4 contractions later, out came Madelyn Lou!

Andrew and I were both convinced we were having another boy, but in the back of my mind I was still holding out a little bit of hope for a girl. When she came out, she was turned over and while Andrew was asking "what is it? what is it?" I was saying "I don't see anything" (in terms of boy parts) and then the doc said "It's a GIRL!" I instantly burst into tears I was so excited. It was such an amazing experience to be able to hold her right away and get to know her a little bit versus our experience with Jack. We are so excited to start life as a family of 4 with our little boy and now our precious baby GIRL :)


















No comments:

Post a Comment